Saturday, August 4, 2018

Office Politics, part 2

I was once asked why I was so interested in American politics, history, culture, etc. My answer was because I was weaned on American tv, movies, and literature and the arts. And that American Foreign Policy was shaping and is still shaping the course and history of my country. 

I have recently realised that my answer was slightly incorrect. I am not yet weaned from American politics, history, culture, tv, movie, and literature among other things. 

I still watch American tv shows and movies. I am still fascinated with American culture. I am still discovering great American writers and writings and my all-time favourites still include Twain and Vonnegut. I have become dependent on American podcasts. I want to be Georgia O'Keeffe or someone half as good. American science and technology are still topnotch and still making our lives better. And most importantly I am still following its politics. Because like it or not, although its Foreign Policy is already diminishing according to Ronan Farrow, it is still influencing Philippines' trajectory despite Duterte's efforts to the opposite. 

One of the latest American thing that's keeping me glued to the Internet is the James Comey book tour interviews. At first, I watched because of the current hair-raising White House politics. But, as I watched more interviews and re-watched others, it dawned on me that this is one leadership book I would make an exemption of, I will read it, if I can get my hands on it. 

I have never read a book on leadership. I read some articles, but never a full-length book. I am just not interested to learn about leadership. I don't want to be a leader. The responsibility is too much to think about. However, one does get to become a sort of leader to some people, but since these are not the kinds that are widely acknowledged or needed to be studied with utmost care, I never read any leadership books. I do think about leadership a lot. 

While I think about leadership and every now and then come up on my own ideas about leadership, they may not be new or novel or any way brilliant. 

All I know for now is that my thoughts and ideas about leadership are being confirmed. It's probably is an echo chamber for me, but it definitely is a knowledge gained.:

1. Leadership requires enough confidence to become humble.
"It requires enough sense of self, a basic conviction that I'm okay that also allows you to realise I'm not okay enough and gives you the comfort to learn from other people. And show the humility to listen to other people. It requires this balance. Too much confidence swipes humility off the board. Too much insecurity makes it impossible to listen and to learn from others.... A comfort in yourself that also allows you to realise you're not good enough and the path to getting better is learning from other people." (Comey)

2. Humility. Leaders are so challenged in learning from those below them and in taking joy from their achievements. Leaders should not compete, but to take joy in how their subordinates are doing. There should be a balance between humility and confidence to better engage with people below you. (Comey)

3. NPR podcast on bosses @2.59 mins only. Take a listen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment