Friday, August 17, 2018

2017: 10 years at blogging, 46 years of confused awesomeness, 1st year at world travel

Zero blogs in 2017.

As a creative, it's not too bad to have written about seventy essays. The subjects had been quite good--relevant, thoughtful, and meaty; length-wise, they're also not very bad. (Well, according to my one and only fan, my brother.)

I will always be confused and vacillating. And awesome is not always a positive adjective. 

As for travel and zero blogs... 

I had been extremely busy preparing for a 25-day tour in Europe--visa (a bit harrowing), shopping for mid-spring clothing when temperatures could fall to the single digit (and it did indeed), and doubling down on work so as not to leave unfinished work and come back to so much backlog. 

After my return, my head was still spinning with utter disbelief at my excellent fortune--deep gratitude to my brother and that life in a third world country is comparably better in some respects, uncharacteristic inability to put into words the wonders (not all wonderful is positive) I've seen and heard, and the nagging thought that maybe there is no need to write anything because everything had been described and photographed by millions before. I also did not want to anger the Fortunes by telling tales least they thought I am bragging or worse humble-bragging. I want to be on their good side all the time. I don't want to simply reminisce for the rest of my days. I want to live that life of travel and adventure again. 

And yet, the persistent voice in my head telling me that sometimes if only for one's own sake, things had to come out in the open.  Most travellers rarely, if ever, talk about the ugly side of travel. It's too much life and reality. And it should not impose on dreams or dreamlike days. 

As the late beloved Anthony Bourdain had said, "Travel isn't always pretty. It isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that's okay. The journey changes you - it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you... Hopefully, you leave something good behind."

I've learned that while I sometimes bury my head in the sand when things get hairy, it is the unpleasant things that give me perfect perspectives and a sense of true self. 

However, before I will share the lessons I learned while abroad, I will tell you about the amusing thing that happened as I literally set foot in Europe; at Roissy-CDG, Paris, France, 16-04-17. 

The first French official that I was supposed to impress or make happy was a lady guard who was checking passports. However, her "bonjour" was really high pitched and so chirpy that a groggy me at 6:00 a.m. after 24 hours of no sleep and travel just managed to mumble something "morndjsour". Then as I was bracing myself to do better with the immigration officer, I was greeted "Magandang Umaga". All the french phrases that I practised since high school went out my drooping googly eyes. And he seemed so happy to practice his Filipino that everything nasty and resentful with me that I didn't get to speak french to a French person the first chance I got just melted away as I also greeted him in Filipino, as courtesy and politeness dictated. It occurred to me later that I could have said bonjour while I was handing over to him my passport; before he could learn I was Filipino, but then I guess my brain was really not functioning properly. 

And then more on the Philippines in France... We were getting noticed even by the most ordinary French citizens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment