Sunday, May 3, 2009

Own the Knowledge, Buy the Book--Validated

The anecdote is second hand but I want to believe it for my validation and for shelving of my cynicism even for a little while.


I have always been against the faculty competing with the students with the few library resources we have but so far been unable to get other people to see my side. If I get to make people agree with me, it is always with reservations. They have their own views regarding faculty access to these resources.


Now I have authority to validate my stand. Towards the end of March 2009, CHED personnel came to our library to check on the books they have donated to the Engineering program of the university. As they were browsing the books they had donated to us, they noticed some missing titles and asked the librarian who accompanied them on their inspection tour where the books are, one faculty who was also with the group answered that the books are with them, the CHED authority supposedly said "Those books are not meant for you. They are for the students; you the faculty should buy your own references".


I am aware of the limitations of my principles regarding faculty access of library resources of course. Limitations with regards to resources that are very expensive or difficult to acquire, but for the most basic resources that are very much available in the local bookstores and inexpensive besides, it is beyond the pale if faculty would still have to compete with the students for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment