Sunday, May 3, 2009

Movies, uncut

Our province does not have any movie theaters. I am only able to see movies when I go to Cebu, that is if the films showing are to my liking. If there is a movie I really like, I resort to buying a pirated copy; I shouldn't even mention my culpability in the piracy industry but heck... However, since I discovered a channel on cable that shows new movies I've stopped buying them altogether. At first I thought they were old movies or movies I missed altogether, even their thrillers on TV, but then I would read a review of it on Jessica Zafra's blog and realize otherwise.

The first of these movies was Russel Crowe and Christian Bale's movie 3:10 to Yuma. When I saw it, I was flabbergasted; however did I miss any Russel Crowe movie, I researched it the next day and found out that it will be shown in Philippine theaters in a month's time. The next was Christian Bale's The Dark Knight which I already knew as new so there was just the thrill of knowing that I've seen it even before the rest of the Philippines do. Slumdog Millionaire is another one. I've seen it before the Academy Awards in February and it was shown here just this April. The latest of these movies is Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day, I saw it a long time before it was shown in Philippine cinemas, so long ago that when Miss Zafra blogged about it a few weeks back my reaction was--huh, it's a new movie?

On April 30 the X-Men Origins: Wolverine was supposed to be the opening day of the movie but I have already seen it on cable on May 1. I don't know where our local cable operator gets their copies of these new movies but I am not complaining. Not even if the Wolverine who was thrown into the air by Sabertooth was just a computer animation or that when Deadpool landed on his feet some strings were still attached to his back, because so far this was the only one yet to be polished. A thought though, what if some authority would decide to investigate this transgression? Nah!

No comments:

Post a Comment