Thursday, March 25, 2010

Making up for lost TIME accounting

As you may notice on my book lists, I have finished reading three books this month. Alone, Alone! by Dinnage, on the “current read”, and Scoop by Waugh and Engelby by Sebastian Faulks on “unread”.

I was too lazy to update my blog after reading Alone, Alone! Then last weekend I finished reading Engelby in 17 hours minus the time I took to prepare and eat three meals, bathe, and did some house chores—did the bed, wash plates, etc. (I know, I know, I am a slow reader, can’t seem to do something about this sorry state). But hey, that’s 350+ pages, so not too bad really. Started reading Scoop the other evening and I finished reading it last night.

Not bad for a month’s accounting of time, huh?

Alone, Alone! was very interesting because it talked about women in literature, women's movement, painting and others, women who never really managed to become a star not for lack of talent and skill but for various reasons. Gwen John because her work was seen as less brilliant than her brother’s. Margaret Oliphant “who wrote and wrote not only because it came naturally to her but because she was the sole source of support of seven people” She muses comparing herself to George Eliot: “should I have done better if I had been kept, like her, in a…mental greenhouse and taken care of?"....And many others you don't often hear of or discussed.

Some books are just too easy to read while others, despite the interest, are just too difficult to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment